With the passing of Amendment 2 by Florida voters on November 8th, 2016, medical cannabis is approved to treat people who have very specific or comparable debilitating diseases. Amendment 2, also known as the Florida Medical Marijuana Legalization Initiative, and the expanded qualifying medical conditions, became effective on January 3, 2017.
What is Medical Cannabis?
Cannabis is a plant that has recently gained a lot of attention, particularly within the medical community, regarding its potential medicinal benefits in treating various medical conditions. The plant is usually processed into an oil, which serves as a vehicle for ingestion, and there are various formulations depending on the condition being treated or medication’s intended effect. These include high CBD-low THC formulations and high THC formulations. It is now legal for qualifying physicians to prescribe in many states, including Florida, for the treatment of certain indicated medical conditions. Multiple studies have concluded that medical cannabis is an effective treatment for certain medical conditions. For example:
- A 2007 study appearing in the journal Neurology found that marijuana is highly effective for reducing neuropathic pain resulting from damaged nerves among patients with HIV (pain that traditional opiates, like morphine can’t manage).
- Led by Orrin Devinsky, MD, director of the NYU Langone Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, a multi-site (11 epilepsy centers), found more than a 50 percent reduction in seizure frequency in some patients using cannabidiol (CBD), a medical marijuana derivative. The study is published in the Lancet Neurology.
- Another study, conducted at Virginia Commonwealth University, determined that ingredients in marijuana can be crucial in helping to control spontaneous seizures among epileptic patients.
What Conditions are Currently Eligible for Treatment in Florida?
Patients in Florida must have specific medical conditions and be certified by a state licensed cannabis doctor in order to be eligible for medical cannabis treatment. Among the conditions approved for eligibility for treatment with medical cannabis are:
. Medical cannabis helps to reduce the occurrences of seizures and minimize the symptoms of epilepsy.
- Cancer. The cannabinoids in medical marijuana are effective for counteracting the side effects, such as nausea, of some cancer treatments.
- Muscle Spasms. Medical cannabis is used to control muscle spasms and their associated pain. This includes helping people who have muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and other conditions who are often plagued with muscle spasms as a result of their condition.
- Amyotrophic Laterals Sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Chronic Malignant Pain
- Other Debilitating Condition of Like, Kind, Or Class
- Other terminal illnesses previously diagnosed by another physicia
How is Medical Cannabis Administered?
In Florida, it is possible to administer medical cannabis in the form of tincture droplets, pills, drops, and in vaporized forms. It is not recommended or permissible to smoke cannabis for medical treatment in Florida.
Are You Eligible to Seek Medical Cannabis Treatment?
You must be recommended by a physician licensed to treat you with medical cannabis in order to receive this treatment. Then, only after you have been diagnosed with one of the conditions as set forth by the Florida Medical Marijuana Legalization, Amendment 2, Bill 8A are you eligible to move forward in the process to receive medical cannabis treatment.
If you are under 18 years old, you must receive the consent of two physicians.
Once all criteria is met, and deemed an appropriate candidate, your physician registers you on the Medical Marjiuana Use Registry, and you or your representative / caregiver are required to apply for a Medical Marijuana Registry Card.
Ongoing, your prescribing physician may only write a certification for a 70 – day supply with two refills until the patient is required to see the physician again in person. Telemedicine consultations are not permitted. Physicians may request to follow up with patients at their discretion.
Seek Help from a Specialist Experienced in Using Medical Cannabis to Treat Serious Conditions
It is essential to work with a licensed medical marijuana physician in the state of Florida who is an experienced specialist, not only, in using medical cannabis for approved neurological disorders and but in treating the underlying condition, understanding potential side effects and drug-drug interactions. Dr. Andrew M. Lerman, MD, a board-certified neurologist, has both clinical and research experience with using medical cannabis as a treatment for certain medical conditions, such as epilepsy and various other neurological and neurophysiological disorders. He has completed the required training for low-THC and medical cannabis treatment and has many patients who are taking advantage of the therapeutic benefits. He has also worked with patients participating in cannabidiol programs at New York University’s Langone Medical Center and with Dr. Orrin Devinsky, MD, who was the principal investigator of the “Cannabidiol in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy: an open-label interventional trial”, which found that medical marijuana extracts can decrease the frequency of seizures in some young children and adults with severe forms of epilepsy.
Dr. Lerman is excited to offer a methodical and experienced approach in using this cutting edge treatment for his patients.
Is a prescription required for cbd oil in florida
Cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, is a unique antioxidant compound found in the Hemp Plant. CBD is non-intoxicating, and may offer enormous therapeutic potential to patients suffering from a wide variety of pain, inﬂammation, anxiety, and sleep disorders. It may even reduce or eliminate your need for post-surgery pain medication, offering patients alternative relief options. PurMed CBD products are 100% THC FREE. THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), is the part of the Cannabis plant that is responsible for producing the sense of being “high” or feeling euphoric.
How does CBD work in the body?
CBD interacts with the body’s Endocannabinoid receptors in organs such as the brain, muscles, tissues, nerves to help regulate inflammation, pain, and maintain homeostasis.
CBD helps treat pain from conditions such as:
- Bone or Joint Pain
- Muscle aches
- Torn tendon or tendonitis
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Nerve Pain
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Post-surgery pain
Where can you get CBD?
CBD products from PurMed Global are available at our orthopedic office locations in Orange City and Lake Mary.
Their products meet the highest level of safety standards, compliance and consistency. All products are tested and verified by third party ISO accredited labs and come with a state compliant certificate of Analysis for quality verification and to ensure all finished products contain Zero THC.
PurMed Global CBD Relief Cream
This topical cream can be applied multiple times, day or night, to painful trigger points, muscles, arthritic joints (especially on the hands, knees, or feet), and other “sore spots”. Intended for 4-6 hours of relief. Each bottle contains a powerful combination of 400 mg of Pure CBD immersed within a rapid cooling formula containing Arnica and Menthol (90-100 servings per bottle).
Rapid Relief Cream Directions: Apply topically to affected areas and rub in thoroughly. For best results, apply throughout the day and night as needed.
PurMed Global CBD Oil Tinctures
While the bottles may look the same, 1 fl. oz. /30 mL, they each contain different concentrations of CBD:
- The 900 mg PurMed CBD Oil formula is designed to be a “Starter” Tincture. Assuming a patient was to administer 15 mg under the tongue twice a day (15 mg is 0.50 mL and is marked “1/2” on the dropper inside the cap) it would last 30 days.
- The 2400 mg PurMed CBD Oil formula is designed to be a “Titration” Tincture. Assuming a patient was to administer 20 mg under the tongue twice a day (20 mg is 0.25 mL and is marked “1/4” on the dropper inside the cap) it would last 60 days.
- The 4500 mg PurMed CBD Oil formula is designed to be a “Maintenance” Tincture. Assuming a patient was to administer 37.5 mg under the tongue twice a day (37.5 mg is 0.25 mL and is marked “1/4” on the dropper inside the cap) it would last 60 days.
Oil Tincture Directions: Take your oil tincture dose orally. Place drops under the tongue and hold for 60-90 seconds, then swallow. Taking with food that contains a higher fat content may help improve absorption. Always consult with your PurMed Provider on proper dosage, dose frequency, and titration amounts.
PurMed Global CBD Gummies
These Organic and All Natural Gummies contain 700 mg of Pure CBD. There are 35 CBD Gummies per Bottle and each Gummy contains 20 mg of CBD.
CBD Gummy Directions: Take gummies as directed by a Medical Provider. For best results, take like a lozenge. Keep in mouth and let dissolve as long as possible, then chew and swallow remaining gummy. Always consult with your PurMed Provider on proper dosage, dose frequency, and titration amounts.