Best CBD Oil for Herpes – March 2022
CBD has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, which may be helpful in alleviating the symptoms of herpes (5 ) .
A study in 2017 found that cannabidiol exhibited antiviral activity that counteracted viral hepatitis C (6 ) . CBD was able to hinder the replication of the virus significantly.
In 2020, the journal Digestive Diseases and Sciences published a study that analyzed the use of CBD in more than three hundred patients with autoimmune hepatitis. The researchers learned that most of the subjects reported improvements in their symptoms after CBD consumption (7 ) .
CBD ‘s antiviral activity was also observed in a study on Kaposi sarcoma (8 ) . Kaposi sarcoma, a disorder that causes skin lesions, is prevalent in individuals with immune deficiencies.
Researchers also learned that cannabidiol suppresses the inflammatory reaction of allergic contact dermatitis (9 ) , a skin rash triggered by an allergic reaction.
This action indicates that CBD may be used to treat cold sores from herpes by inhibiting its infectious growth.
Despite the positive outlook, there are no clinical trials directly involving the use of CBD on patients with the herpes simplex virus .
How CBD Oil Works to Help with Herpes
Cannabidiol is thought to engage with cannabinoid receptors of the endocannabinoid system (ECS) (10 ) . The ECS is a unique part of the body that regulates various functions, including internal homeostasis.
CBD ‘s ability to bind with both CB1 and CB2 receptors is thought to bring about its anti-inflammatory actions (11 ) .
In one study, researchers learned that CBD binds with the CB1 receptor (12 ) .
Researchers in 2014 found that the antiviral effect of a substance that binds to CB1 receptors was able to inhibit hepatitis C replication. They hinted that these receptors might be therapeutic targets for antiviral agents (13 ) .
CB2 receptors, which are mainly expressed in cells of the immune system , are said to influence viral infections by altering host immune response toward inflammation (14 ) .
Since CBD also engages with the CB2 receptor, the compound may be administered to activate the receptor and contribute in controlling viral infections .
The Pros and Cons of CBD Oil for Herpes
- CBD could potentially alleviate the symptoms of the herpes simplex virus . Studies have shown that cannabidiol exerts anti-inflammatory properties (15 ) that could benefit patients with viral infections , like herpes.
- Researchers discovered that CBD engages with cannabinoid receptors (16 ) , which could be the compound’s mechanism of action for its antiviral activity.
- Compared to other cannabinoids , CBD reportedly has a strong safety profile and does not induce psychotropic effects upon use (17 ) .
- The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) acknowledges the potential of cannabis and its derivatives (18 ) . The agency also supports scientific-based research with regard to the medicinal uses of cannabis.
- The 2018 Farm Bill legalized the cultivation of industrial hemp in the United States. Restrictions concerning the transport, sale, and possession of hemp-derived products have also been lifted (19 ) .
- No direct studies concerning the effectiveness of cannabidiol in treating herpes simplex virus symptoms exist.
- There are possible side effects when using CBD . The most cited adverse reactions from clinical studies include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and decreased appetite (20 ) .
- Due to the complex process by which cannabidiol engages with the body, it could potentially interact with other medications and cause adverse events (21 ) .
- Many CBD products sold online are not labeled accurately due to inadequate regulations and oversight (22 ) . Users who wish t o buy cannabidiol on the internet are at risk of purchasing mislabeled goods.
How CBD Oil Compares to Alternative Treatments for Herpes
A study in 2006 mentioned that treatments with natural substances, such as lysine, vitamin C, and lemon balm, might be useful in reducing herpes simplex lesions or preventing its recurrences (23 ) .
Lysine supplementation reaching doses that exceed 3 grams per day improved the symptoms of herpes patients (24 ) .
In a combination treatment involving ascorbic acid, herpes patients reportedly experienced a reduction in symptom severity and recurrences.
The subjects, who took the supplement within forty-eight hours of symptom onset, did not develop the characteristic lesions of the virus (25 ) .
Meanwhile, lemon balm oil was found to exert a direct antiviral effect on herpesviruses . Researchers concluded that the essential oil might also be used as a topical treatment for herpetic infections (26 ) .
CBD works the same way as these natural elements in that it also provides antiviral activity when applied.
Several brands sell CBD products with lemon balm and vitamin C. These items are usually available in the form of syrups, tinctures , and gummies.
How to Choose the Right CBD for Herpes
Three forms of cannabidiol are available for purchase. These are the CBD isolates, broad-spectrum, and full-spectrum.
CBD isolate is the purest type of cannabidiol . Isolates undergo an extraction process wherein only CBD remains in the final output.
People who only wish to take cannabidiol often choose CBD isolates because of their purity. Isolates usually come in crystal or powdered form and do not have a distinct taste.
Broad-spectrum CBD is the type that contains all of the compounds of cannabis plants . The only exception is that it does not have tetrahydrocannabinol ( THC ).
THC is a psychotropic substance that causes mind-altering effects when consumed. Some individuals prefer not to take products that have THC because of its psychoactive properties.
While the main components of medical cannabis ( medical marijuana) are CBD and THC , the substance that is responsible for the “high” is THC.
The third variant of CBD is called full-spectrum. This type of CBD provides users with all of the phytocannabinoids that can be extracted from marijuana, including THC .
Full-spectrum CBD is known for the mechanism known as the “entourage effect.” This effect occurs when all the cannabis compounds are taken together (27 ) .
No matter the type of cannabidiol one decides to purchase, it is important to select the best quality products to maximize the benefits of CBD .
- Organic, non-GMO hemp is the best source to obtain high-quality CBD oil . Industrial hemp plants have large amounts of cannabidiol and only small amounts of THC .
- Request or obtain the certificate of analysis (COA) of a chosen CBD product . This document is a report indicating that the item has gone through proper testing while containing the exact specifications on its label.
- Read testimonials of products and brands before purchasing from an online CBD shop. When buying from a physical store, see if they have the authorization to sell CBD .
- Make sure to check the legalities concerning CBD in the area where one wishes to obtain and use the compound.
- Talk to a healthcare professional to avoid complications. For those using certain medications, a doctor may know of any prescribed drug that could interact with CBD .
CBD Dosage for Herpes
There is no official guide on the proper CBD dosage that could be used for herpes symptoms.
The FDA does not approve of any other marketing application for CBD . Epidiolex, a treatment for seizures, is the only CBD product approved by the agency (28 ) .
Although there is no data on proper dosage, one may look at past clinical trials to see what dose range worked for human subjects.
In one study, 300 mg to 600 mg of CBD was found to help decrease anxiety in clinical participants (29 ) .
Another study mentioned that the chronic use of CBD and high doses reaching as much as 1,500 mg per day was found to be well-tolerated in humans (30 ) .
How to Take CBD Oil for Herpes
People with herpes may find applying CBD in topical form helpful in alleviating the pain and discomfort during herpes outbreaks .
Topical CBD , such as salves, lip balms , and CBD creams, allow individuals to administer the compound directly to affected areas.
For users who wish to control their CBD oil doses , tinctures are available for sublingual application. CBD tinctures are perhaps the most popular delivery format for cannabidiol .
Inhaling vaporized cannabidiol is also another form of taking CBD . However, vaping is not recommended as it is often associated with acute lung disease (31 ) .
Sublingual application and vaping are the two fastest ways to administer CBD in the body.
CBD intake by way of the sublingual route is preferred when one wishes for the compound to take effect immediately (32 ) .
Likewise, inhaled CBD allows it to be delivered quickly and efficiently because of high bioavailability (33 ) . Bioavailability is the amount of substance that is absorbed by the body successfully.
CBD sold as gummies, brownies, tablets, and gummies are the most direct way to take the compound. Oral cannabidiol is ideal for those who travel or do not have the time to apply CBD topically.
What is Herpes?
Herpes simplex, commonly known as herpes, is a viral infection generally characterized by having a cold sore or fever blister . It is caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).
The two types of herpes are HSV-1 ( herpes simplex 1 ) and HSV-2 ( herpes simplex 2 ) (34 ) .
HSV-1 is primarily transmitted by oral contact, leading to oral herpes . The HSV-2 type is an infection often transmitted during sex, resulting in genital herpes . However, HSV-1 can infect the genitals and HSV-2 can infect the lips.
The Herpes simplex virus may be passed on from the mouth to the genitals through oral sex.
A person that has contracted the herpes virus remains infected for life, although it tends to go dormant over time. Most people have it and don’t even know it. Herpes simplex usually stays dormant in an individual but can reactivate and cause blisters .
The herpes virus is similar to the varicella-zoster virus, which is linked to shingles . Both types of virus remain dormant in the body until it reactivates.
Shingles is a reactivation of the virus that causes chickenpox , which causes painful rashes.
Experts do not fully understand what triggers the recurrence of herpes, but it is often associated with several factors. Emotional stress, illness, and fever are the most commonly mentioned (35 ) .
Symptoms of Herpes
- Burning, itching, or tingling – Before breakouts, a person may have a tingling, itching, or burning sensation on the area of their skin where the blisters appear.
- Sores – Fluid-filled sores may show up around the lips, genital areas, and mucous membranes inside the mouth.
- Flu-like symptoms – Experiencing swollen lymph nodes, fever, and muscle aches are possible.
- Pain when urinating – People with genital herpes , usually women, may have difficulties urinating.
- Eye infection (herpes keratitis) – In some instances, the virus can spread to the eyes, leading to pain, sensitivity, and discharge.
The very first outbreak of herpes is usually the worst, but not all of them are severe. Some individuals may experience very mild symptoms that they barely notice having the condition.
Healthy people with herpes simplex rarely experience serious complications. Those with the highest risk of complications are unborn babies, newborns, and individuals with weak immune systems .
Treatments for Herpes
Although herpes simplex cannot be cured, some medications can be taken to relieve symptoms and shorten herpes outbreaks .
Most individuals are prescribed antiviral medicine. Over-the-counter antiviral topicals may be applied to the genital areas for pain relief.
The most common antiviral drugs for both forms of herpes are acyclovir ( Zovirax ), famciclovir , and valacyclovir . Daily intake of these herpes medications can significantly decrease the frequency and severity of outbreaks (36 ) .
However, individuals can experience side effects when taking these drugs. Irritability, lack of appetite, tiredness, and trouble sleeping are common adverse reactions.
Studies on PubMed ( NCBI ) revealed that cannabidiol has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that may help people infected with the herpes simplex virus .
CBD was found to have immune-suppression capabilities based on how it worked in a study on allergic contact dermatitis.
CBD exhibited its antiviral activity in a study on viral hepatitis C. Researchers learned that the cannabis compound significantly inhibited the replication of the virus during trials.
Cannabidiol was also found to exert antiviral effects in a study concerning Kaposi sarcoma, a condition that caused skin lesions.
These studies provide hints that CBD may be used to help treat the skin lesions and other symptoms of a herpes outbreak .
Despite the positive studies on the compound, there is no clinical evidence to prove that CBD can cure herpes. More studies are needed to confirm if cannabidiol benefits people with herpes.
CBD use is legal in most states in America. People can purchase CBD products from online stores and physical dispensaries, even without a doctor’s prescription.
The two main components of medical cannabis are CBD and THC . Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol is the compound that causes psychotropic effects.
CBD Oil for Herpes: Alternative Remedy and Solution for Treatment and Prevention of Oral Herpes and Genital Herpes
When a herpes outbreak occurs, the virus is attacking cell tissues in the mucous membranes, causing pain, blisters and inflammation. This is caused in part by white blood cells rushing to the area to combat the attack. White blood cells are part of our immune system, and if CBD can really interact with our immune system through the ECS, then it could help this process to work more effectively.
What’s more, CBD is actually a patented anti-inflammatory in the United States. This means that it could take down the inflammation in the area and lessen any pain caused as a result.
A few studies are being carried out into CBD as an anti-viral. While nothing is yet set in stone, some conclusions have been positive. For example, a study in 2010 suggested phytocannabinoids (those found in plants) were able to help in the fight against persistent infections – like herpes. The study was done on in vitro and in vivo subjects, though, meaning it might not be fully effective on adults; we will have to await more studies.
Whether it is able to “cure” herpes or not, it might be able to support your immune system and make you feel much better.
Get A Copy
Be the first to ask a question about CBD Oil for Herpes
Lists with This Book
Natural herbs have cured so many illness that drugs and injection cant cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. i read people's testimonies online on how they were cured of herpes, hiv, diabetics etc by Dr. OJAMO herbal medicine, so i decided to contact the doctor because i know nature has the