CBD For Dogs: Three Products To Try
As long as a vet approves of their use, supplements like CBD can help alleviate symptoms of many health issues in our canine companions. Thanks to the increase in availability of non-intoxicating cannabidiol products, people are investing in CBD for both themselves and their dogs.
Like us, dogs have a system (called “endocannabinoid”) that makes the use of cannabinoid based medicines and supplements possible. This network is vital to many of life’s functions, but we don’t yet know the full picture of its importance. We do know that when stimulated, cannabinoids can help certain health conditions in humans and other animals while only causing slight dry mouth and drowsiness in dogs taking large doses.
Animal Wellness Magazine says that “The endocannabinoid system involves physiological processes such as appetite, pain sensation, mood and memory. These receptors are found in the dog’s brain and peripheral nervous system. In fact, scientific research has confirmed that cannabis receptors exist in many different species, including dogs.”
Before you think that all cannabis or hemp is safe for pets, be very careful to avoid giving anything with THC to any animal (this means human-grade marijuana that you can safely take or enjoy). The effects of THC are magnified for dogs in comparison to humans, and when it binds with their CB1 receptors, it creates a very scared and potentially sick pet that may need medical attention. Human cannabis foods are often chocolatey—which is definitely not dog friendly, and the raw cannabis flower contains chlorophyll. Both can cause gastrointestinal discomfort on top of acute intoxication. Always keep THC away from pets in all its forms.
Now that the warning is in place, know that other cannabinoids work differently in the brain and won’t cause intoxication in people or pets. Because dogs have a similar system and experience no psychotropic effects from CBD, just like humans, their CB2 receptors are ready and willing to accept cannabidiol to use for a list of things like anxiety reduction and inflammatory relief.
The American Kennel Club recommends the following about CBD and dogs: “If you and your veterinarian decide that you should try CBD as a treatment for your dog, there are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing CBD oil. Not all oils are the same; you’ll want high-quality CBD oil to have a better chance of it working.
- Look for organic. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides, or solvents.
- Don’t price shop. The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. You don’t want to go for a cheaper option that could have toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides, or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
- Get the analysis. The manufacturer should provide a certificate that tells you the amount of CBD that is in the product. Many CBD oils contain only small amounts of CBD. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a tincture. You can buy dog treats containing CBD, but the best form to administer is a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop.”
This is great advice for selecting anything your dog is going to be consuming, but if it’s supposed to be medicinal, quality is key. There are many brands out there, but avoid products comprised of inert hemp oil as this has little to no health benefit past the extra omega 3s. Here are a few that are worth asking your vet about, or trying:
Individual packets of CBD, green lipped mussel, vitamin C and other pet protecting ingredients are a convenient way to give your pet the benefits of CBD. Therabis products are available in cannabis dispensaries in legal states, but with no THC, they’re shipped to all 50 states online. This line uses special blends to address itching, anxiety, and joint pain in both small and large doses for different sized dogs. The powder’s green lipped mussel content provides a dose of glucosamine that keeps joints healthy and coats shiny.
Bacon-flavored CBD is definitely going to define the future of pet care. With roughly 6.5mg per full dropper, a 100ml bottle of Veritas Farms Dog CBD Tincture lets you figure out a baseline dose, while providing the option for a bigger dose that can sneak itself in treats or a pinch of kibble. In a MCT oil base, your dog gets the calm and ease of full spectrum hemp with CBD in a simple-to-dose format, granting pet parents the freedom to try out cannabinoids with less hassle.
Phyto Animal Health
This CBD oil is a perfect addition to any dog’s morning with a flavorless and undetectable dose. A large bottle of Vitality- X will last months with 1000mg per bottle, making the value undeniable when you realize you don’t even need glucosamine treats or maybe even pain prescriptions. There’s extra positives in this formula, too, namely that it’s cat and horse friendly. This should be your go-to if you have multiple pets. Vitality-X is recommended by vets and generated from CBD isolate versus full spectrum hemp oil, which makes a difference to some people.
CBD can be a great addition to your dog’s health regimen no matter their age, the side effects are limited and the benefits are only just beginning to be explained with studies, with more research being commissioned every year. Until we know the whole picture, anecdotal evidence is the main thing we have to go on, but even vets are getting behind cannabidiol.
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical diagnosis, condition, or treatment options.
Healthy Paws does not cover CBD oil treats or supplements. However, should your pet suffer an accident or be ill from scarfing down something they’re not supposed to, you would be covered by the Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plan. If you’re not already part of our pack, start by getting a free quote today.
CBD Oil For Dogs
Stirling CBD oil for pets was specially formulated to calm the nerves of stressed-out dogs and cats. But, how do you know if your fur baby is stressed?
Signs may include excess barking when you are not home; separation anxiety that causes scratching, chewing, or going to the bathroom in the house when you are gone; hiding under the bed when visitors come, upset stomach; or fear when getting into the car and going to the vet or other places.
CBD oils for pets can also help ease aches and pains caused by old age, hip problems, and other serious conditions.
Stirling CBD oil is the best CBD for pets on the market because, well, bacon!
What animal doesn’t love the taste of bacon? The great savory flavor makes it easy to ingest and the powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-anxiety benefits of our all-natural CBD creates the perfect combo for a calming remedy for your dog or cat! *All of our ingredients are naturally sourced so there aren’t any additives or chemicals.
How does Stirling CBD for pets help?
Stirling CBD oil can help calm your dog or cat and alleviate aches and pains. Our specially formulated animal-specific formula helps your furry friend lead a healthier and happier life! We specially formulated our 250mg CBD Oil dosage, flavor, and carrier oils to create better overall wellness for your fur babies!
CBD for dogs can help with the following situations:
- If your dog gets anxious when you are gone.
- Excessive barking.
- Excessive jumping on people when they come to your home.
- If your dog is experiencing major stomach issues or simply won’t eat.
- If your dog chews up things around the house when you are not home.
- If your dog shows signs of being nervous during a storm or when fireworks are going off such as hiding under the bed, whimpering or barking excessively.
- If your dog gets nervous when getting into the car or going places like the vet.
- If your dog is old and suffers from hip problems or other serious health conditions
CBD for cats helps with situations such as:
- If your cat hides under the bed when people come to visit.
- If your cat scratches the furniture excessively when you are not home.
- If your cat shows signs of separation anxiety when you leave.
- If your cat won’t eat or is experiencing nausea, vomiting, or excessive gagging.
- Your cat is getting old and having trouble getting around.
Special features of our pet CBD oil
- Specially formulated lower dosage CBD for your pet’s mental and physical health
- 30ml Bottle with 1ml droplet included. 8.3mg in every 1ml (full dropper)
- Tinctures are made with our 99.6% CBD + our pure MCT oil. Stirling MCT oil is the best CBD carrier on the market . Why?
- MCT Is water Soluble – unlike other plant oils like Hemp Oil and Sunflower Oils
- MCT has 10X more bioavailability than Oil Based CBD Carriers (Hemp Oil, Avocado Oil, etc.)
- MCT protects the CBD. It has a 24-month shelf life when protected from light and heat.
- Amber bottle to protect contents from Light & UV Rays.
All-Natural Flavor w/ hint of Bacon Essential Oil with no Sugar Added.
Stirling CBD for Pets Ingredients:
Hemp extract, MCT oil & natural flavoring – nothing more.
- Dosage will vary due to your animal’s age, weight, medical conditions, and overall health.
- With this said – several experts in the industry have these general guidelines for a 70lb dog:
- General Health: 1 Dropper Full (8.3mg CBD)
- Chronic pain, Anxiety: 1 to 1.5 Dropper Fulls 8.3mg -13mg mg CBD
- Sleep disorders / Anti-Inflammatory: 2 Dropper Fulls – 16.6mg CBD
- Stirling’s guidance is to start small and work your way up.
Put the 250mg CBD Oil for Dogs and right in their food.
Usually, dogs will also like it right out of the dropper! Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!
Additional Product Information
- *All-natural ingredients – no artificial flavoring used*
- 3rd Party Lab tested for safety, purity, and potency
- Subtle Bacon Flavor
- Sourced from 100% organic sustainable raised Kentucky hemp
- Vegan, Organic, non-GMO
- Proven to be free from any pesticides, herbicides, solvents, heavy metals, or chemical fertilizers
- THC FREE
Customers say our CBD for pets is the best because it helps…
Manage Pain and Problems from Hip Dysplasia
- CBD’s works closely with your animal’s endocannabinoid system
CBD for Pets can also help manage pain caused by inflammation.
- CBD has powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that can help your dog & cat feel better!
CBD for Anxiety in Dogs and Cats
- Thunderstorms get your fluffy friend nervous? How about the 4th July? CBD for your animal totally helps with their anxiousness and helps calm them down. It can also help calm general anxiety such as separation anxiety and social anxiety when other people come to visit.
Dog Pain Relief
- At Stirling, we understand that your pets are part of your family and when they are suffering, so are you! We are committed to providing a safe and completely natural remedy to help enhance the mental and physical wellbeing of your dogs and cats. We know you and your dog and/or cat will love our CBD oil for pets! Let us know how we can help!
Thanks for reading – and we hope you get the same results from Stirling CBD as thousands of our other customers!
*These oils are NOT designed for use with vaporizers, vape pens, e-cigarettes, or any other vaping device. Nor are they formulated to treat or diagnose any existing medical condition. Oil color may vary from batch to batch.*
CBD For Pets – A Growing Trend
Many people think of their pet as their children. If you notice something is off with your child, you pick up your phone and start to google their symptoms. Same with your pet. Nine times out of ten the answer you come up with indicates that your child or pet has some unknown disease that started somewhere in South Africa and the end result is either cancer or the need of medication. What if we told you there is an alternative way around the need of traditional medication? That’s where CBD comes in to play. CBD is on a rise not just in humans but also in pets. You may be asking yourself what exactly is CBD and how can it benefit my pet? We are here to inform you more about CBD, its benefits and also to hear from some of The Ark customers and their experience with CBD.
WHAT IS CBD
What is CBD? CBD or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis, the plant we often associate with marijuana. Cannabidiol is one of over 113 “cannabinoids” that is found in the cannabis plant. It is important to note that CBD has no known toxicity level, so it is incapable of causing an overdose and will not get your pet “high”. Unlike THC, the main psychoactive compound in marijuana, CBD is completely non-psychoactive and safe to be used on pets. Most CBD found in cannabis pet supplements is usually sourced from hemp, a variety of cannabis that naturally contains extremely low concentrations of TCH.
SYMPTOMS & CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
We asked several of our customers about their experience with CBD products, what symptoms their dog experienced before the CBD and how their symptoms ease up after the use of CBD.
Jared Digby said that their dog Quyn was born with hip dysplasia. Because of this, she had an increasing level of pain and discomfort as she’s aged. It was hard for the Digby family to watch Quyn limp around and whimper from the pain and so they turned to CBD to avoid prescription medications that can be tough on a dog’s liver and kidneys. After a proper dose of CBD, they noticed that Quyns external symptoms were less pronounced. For example, she could maintain activity for a longer period of time and was limping less after that activity.
Another customer Pat Fergusonis an avid user of the Whole Pet CBD oil pens. Her reason for use? X-rays showed that her dog Duffy has arthritis in his joints, hips and back. Duffy also showed aggression if he was touched where he hurt. After the use of the oil pens, Pat says he is much more relaxed, runs without pain and is no longer aggressive when petted in an area of pain.
HOW CBD INTERACTS WITH THE BODY
Why do symptoms ease with the use of CBD? CBD interacts with the body via the endocannabinoid system, or ECS. The ECS is a biological system found in all mammals and is involved in managing a wide variety of biological processes, including memory, sleep, immune response and more. The ECS consists of two types of cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2. These receptors are built to interact with cannabinoids that are naturally produced by the brain. They can also interact with plant-derived cannabinoids like CBD. The effects of CBD are similar in humans, dogs, cats and other pets. Just like humans, dogs and cats also have endocannabinoid system that functions much like the human ECS.
BENEFITS OF CBD
There are several benefits of using CBD. After doing research we have found that these are the top 7 most common CBD benefits for dogs.
1. Powerful Painkiller– Studies show that CBD can help manage pain in many different ways. Thus, making it renowned for its painkilling properties.
2. Anticonvulsant– Because CBD is a natural anticonvulsant it has the ability to help control seizures, tremors, tics and spasms.
3. Anti-Inflammatory– This effect of CBD is believed to be one of the main reasons the compound is so useful in treating a wide variety of conditions.
4. Reduces Anxiety and Stress– Studies have shown that CBD can help manage the symptoms of a variety of mental conditions, including anxiety.
5. Antiemetic– A strong body of evidence has shown that CBD is successful in controlling both nausea and vomiting while also stimulating appetite.
6. Anticancer Effects– Studies have shown that CBD can help protect against colon cancer in rats, by stopping the development, growth, and spread of malignant tumors.
7. Promotes Homeostasis– Many pet owners choose to use CBD not only as a medicine to treat a specific illness, but also as a regular supplement to promote the overall health and wellbeing of their pet.
In addition to the above list Ferguson found that after CBD use Duffy sleeps more and is much more relaxed. Digby said he noticed a calming effect on his dog as well, especially during thunderstorms or fireworks which can be a very stressful time for a pet.
CBD PRODUCTS WE RECOMMEND
Slobberbones located in all of our Chattanooga Ark locations carry a few CBD products. Below is a list that we carry on hand or can order for you.
Whole Pet CBD – Presented by Mary’s Nutritionals
Whole Pet Gel Pens
– Quick delivery of pain relief delivered by placing gel pen to the ear of furry friend.
– Mary’s patented transdermal gel pen contains 50 1mg doses of activated hemp extract
– Each dose can last up to 4 hours
Whole Pet Drops Regular or Extra Strength
– Regular: The 300mg potency is designed for pets up to 50lbs. and provides .5mg per drop.
– Extra Strength: The 900mg potency is designed for pets over 50lbs. and provides 1.5mg per drop.
– Can be applied to food, a treat or directly to the back of the tongue using the graduated dropper.
– Intended for proactive daily cannabinoid therapy
– Delicious natural bacon flavor
– Each tincture is intended to provide a 30+ day supply
Mary’s Whole Pet products are derived from compliant industrial hemp crops harvested in Colorado and audited by the Colorado Department of Agriculture.
Complete Body Daily
Full Spectrum Remedy Hemp Oil
– 500mg – 1ml dropper – 16.65mg
– Can be used in pets 35lbs. up to 100+ lbs.
– Works best when placed under the tongue for 30-60 seconds until dissolved
Hempz: Dog Chews
– Use as a treat or supplement to add to any dog’s diet. Dosage can be administered 1-2 times per day or as needed for pain and anxiety relief.
– Can be used in dogs 0-52+ lbs.
Complete Body Daily’s Phytocannabinoid Hemp Oil provides a convenient delivery model for the industry’s highest quality extract. Our proprietary manufacturing process provides optimum bioavailability to ensure maximum absorption. Remedy oil is produced from Organically Grown Hemp, is Non-GMO, and most importantly is manufactured in the USA.
Full Size Blueberry or Turkey Hard Chews (Large or Small)
– Small: Full spectrum hemp oil chews for pets under 50lbs.
– Large: Full spectrum hemp oil chews for pets over 50lbs.
– Each small blueberry Treatibles chew contains 1mg Full Spectrum Hemp Oil
– Safe and non-toxic
Treatibles products are Compassion Certified, made in the USA from USA-sourced ingredients, and contain quantified milligram levels of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil.
After reading this article about CBD we hope that you now feel knowledgeable with what CBD is, how it works with your pets’ body, the benefits of CBD as well as true testimonials from our customers and how CBD has been a lifesaver for their sweet pups. Be sure to check out our CBD products that we have in store at any of our Slobberbones locations. Our front desk Crew will be happy to help answer any additional questions you may have in regard to CBD.